Re: How to apply Apache directives to 'dynamic' HTML?

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 02:27:15PM -0700, Mike Wright wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
>> I am using the default apache 2.2 configuration in Fedora 7 as server
>> on my home Linux box.  It's all working much as I want but I have one
>> issue that I can't find any really straightforward information about.
>> How does one apply apache directives to web pages that are generated
>> by a CGI script?  I am running pyBlosxom (a python blog server) as a blog
>> for personal
>> notes, I want to set the default character set for only the blog pages
>> to iso-8859-1 rather than the default utf-8.  How do I do this?
>> If it was just simple HTML then I'd do something like:-
>> <Directory /the/directory/with/html/files>
>>     AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1
>> </Directory>
>> (I think!)  However I don't see how to apply this to files which are
>> dynamically served by a CGI script, i.e. the URL is something like:-
>>     http://my.home.system/cgi-bin/pyblosxom.py/wiki/directory/file
>> What (if anything) do I put in the <Directory ....>?
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> Since the script is responsible for generating the document you may embed
> the required charset within the <head> block and leave apache out of it.
>
> <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

That's the whole problem, the above setting is overridden by the
apache server's setting:-

    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

I want to know how to set up the apache configuration so that the
above setting is what is used by default but in one directory
hierarchy (which is actually a CGI script generating HTML dynamically)
the default charset is ISO-8859-1.

--
Chris Green