Re: [Fedora] Re: DHCP security

At 7:57 PM -0600 10/9/07, you wrote:
Ed Kasky wrote:
That depends on your wireless device. I use Linksys and use static dhcp based on mac address as well as WEP for a more secure netowrk. If the mac address is not in the list, it won't get access.
This might work for wireless, however in a mixed environment, where one DHCP server is serving both wired as well as wireless, that might not work. Assuming a client actually broadcasted a DHCPREQUEST to get an IP, you can have the DHCP server deny it based on it being an unknown MAC. But if someone manually configures their machine and simply plugs into your network, how will your DHCP server know to block them? It never assigned an IP to them, it never even received a request for an IP, so how would it know what to do?

Not sure but I know it's possible. I work at a very large university that does exactly that. If your mac address is not properly registered and it is sensed on the network, even if you manually configure the ip address, your port will shut down. Is that accomplished through switch management?

Ed
--
Randomly Generate Quote:
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.