Re: DHCP security

At 7:20 PM -0500 10/9/07, you wrote:

On 10/09/2007 07:20 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
 I've been on university systems that use a hotel-like system.  On the
 first connection on port 80 to any address, one is directed to an
 authentication page.  All access is blocked to any address on all ports
 until that authentication is given.

 Which means an attacker simply sits on the network waits for someone to
 authenticate and then takes on their MAC address.

 Alan

I suppose on a wired system, you could map each MAC address to a port on
a switch and require re-authentication if the port changes. It gets
trickier if this is done on wireless.

That depends on your wireless device. I use Linksys and use static dhcp based on mac address as well as WEP for a more secure netowrk. If the mac address is not in the list, it won't get access.

Ed
--
Randomly Generate Quote:
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.