Dual-boot Fedora 7 from external USB - advice needed

Hi, all.

I've spent several hours trolling around looking for reasonable instructions for doing a Fedora 7 install onto an external USB drive for dual-booting (Win XP on the internal drive, USB device recognized automatically as valid boot option).  The most comprehensive writeups I've seen were circa Fedora Core 4 or 5:

http://www.vigla.eclipse.co.uk/usb_install.pdf

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~quocminh/linuxtips/installlinux.html

These both refer to:

http://simonf.com/usb

While comprehensive seeming, there does seem to be a good bit of manual intervention in configuring the bootloader and messing with initrd.  And, of course, there's plenty of chatter on the web from many folks who've run into problems even after following directions seemingly appropriately.

So, my questions are:

1) Are the above the best and current references for this kind of install?
2) Are there better alternative references, especially where it relates to Fedora 7?
3) Is the installer handling bootloader and/or initrd config more automagically than I've seen documented?

I've searched the archive for this mailing list, but if there are any good answers there I think I've missed them.

Thanks!