Re: F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue

Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
Thank you for giving me the instructions on installing GRUB, but I'm very nervous about disturbing Windows again, and thus having to install two OSes again.

Raymond

Why did grub not boot both windows and Linux after you loaded Linux? In the load sequence it gets to the grub section and ask's if you want it. Then if yes you set up Linux and windows to be booted. Why did this not work?

As I stated, Windows XP did not like having the MBR tampered with. I'm not a MCSE, so I didn't do much in the way of troubleshooting Windows, nor did I feel like going through the hassles on my personal computer. Furthermore, it was 7 months ago that I did the installations, and the details are no longer as clear as they once were.
You can reload the boot for windows by just running the install CD for winXP. You should not ever lose windows.

See above. The few times I did try to use the WinXP recovery, I chose to use the automated recovery which failed to do anything useful.
Tell us more about your setup. How many hard drives? How did you make partitions? Which partitions do you have now? What are the names of the partitions, like /dev/sda3 and such?

At the time of installation, there was just a single SATA hard disk which I partitioned during WinXP's installation. As I'm about 20 miles from the machine at the moment (accessing it via RDP over ssh), I can't exactly pop a CD into it and boot linux to find out all the details at this time; I'll do that this evening. But, if memory serves, the Linux partition is at /dev/sda2.

Right now if in fact Linux is at /dev/sda2 we can get your old system working. Get on your Linux and go to /boot/grub/ and with an editor display grub.conf and you should see that #boot= /dev/sda2 and down at the kernel listing it will say root=(hd0,1) and if that is the case, the problem is in your windows boot.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User