Re: DHCP security

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 20:15 +0000, Mike C wrote:
> Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley <at> pcraft.com> writes:
> > So the question now
> > is, is there some way to restrict traffic to only those assigned IPs
> > (through DHCP) and block anything else that happens to show up on the
> > network?  Maybe through iptables somehow?
>
> You can usually arrange to restrict machine that connect to only those with
> specified MAC address on the connecting interface - whilst this can be worked
> around by someone clever they would need to spoof the known MAC address of one
> of the machine in your list - but it is safer than not having a restriction to
> only known MAC addresses
> HTH

You can use NetReg (http://netreg.sourceforge.net/) to strengthen your
dhcp access. On the other hand you can user arpwatch to see if a system
changes it's hw address. And last, but not least you can use an
authenticated firewall (NuFW comes right now into my mind).

HTH

Calin

Isn't it strange that the same people that laugh at gypsy fortune
tellers take economists seriously?