Re: The case against NetworkManager

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:

NM does not work with my Orinoco PCMCIA classic gold card.
It sends out a message saying something like "Get a better card".
Basically, I believe the Orinoco card does not support
the kind of scanning that NM uses.
That is a fault in the driver that needs to be fixed. Make sure you have
a bug report filed.

I've had long correspondence with the NM team,
who agreed in the end that NM did not work with this device.

The driver is a standard part of the kernel distribution (orinoco_cs).
If NM doesn't work with this the fault lies with NM, in my opinion.

There are a number of drivers upstream which needs fixes. Just because it is upstream does not indicate that everything is right with it. Scanning should be a standard feature in all wireless drivers and this is getting fixed over time. Go talk to wireless driver maintainers and see if they agree with you.

Incidentally, "iwlist eth0 scan" works perfectly with this card:

Scanning in NetworkManager and this are two different things.

Rahul