Re: The case against NetworkManager

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> NM does not work with my Orinoco PCMCIA classic gold card.
>> It sends out a message saying something like "Get a better card".
>> Basically, I believe the Orinoco card does not support
>> the kind of scanning that NM uses.
>
> That is a fault in the driver that needs to be fixed. Make sure you have
> a bug report filed.

I've had long correspondence with the NM team,
who agreed in the end that NM did not work with this device.

The driver is a standard part of the kernel distribution (orinoco_cs).
If NM doesn't work with this the fault lies with NM, in my opinion.
Incidentally, "iwlist eth0 scan" works perfectly with this card:
[tim@elizabeth EllipticCurves]$ sudo iwlist eth0 scan
eth0      Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:16:B6:DA:56:B4
                    ESSID:"dd-wrt"
                    Mode:Master
                    Frequency:2.467 GHz (Channel 12)
                    Signal level:-72 dBm  Noise level:-95 dBm
                    Encryption key:on