Re: rpm and wget -c

on 10/8/2007 11:24 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 01:23 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>> Huh, in the old BBS days, when we ran all of the logs, shakedowns and
>> FIDO NET updates at 3AM, that held us for the next 24 hours via a
>> satellite dnlink. Are the mirrors file updated daily at a given
>> specific time? Or, just whenever it happens to happen and propagates
>> around in like fashion?
>
> It's the latter, plus whenever the mirrors are maintained.  Apparently
> it's not all automatic from the source side of things, those who
> maintain their mirrors do their syncing when they want it done.  I don't
> think my ISP has synced their mirror of the updates since the first lot
> of updates was released (well, they certainly hadn't when I checked ages
> ago).
>
> One reason why your yum re-gets the file list is that you're not
> guaranteed to connect to the same mirror for the next update.  Yes, it
> *would* be *good* that if it does use the same mirror, and the file list
> hasn't changed, that it uses what it's already got.  But I've not forced
> my system to keep on using the same mirrors to see if it already works
> that way.

As I understand it the yum-fastestmirror plugin will take the list of
mirrors, test them, an make as list of mirrors top speed down, and make
note of *your* fastest mirror. It then starts there and only switches if
there is a problem.

The 'available packages' list is only kept for a certain, set, time. Why?
Well they do change don't they?  ;-)

--

  David