Re: rpm and wget -c

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 01:23 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> Huh, in the old BBS days, when we ran all of the logs, shakedowns and
> FIDO NET updates at 3AM, that held us for the next 24 hours via a
> satellite dnlink. Are the mirrors file updated daily at a given
> specific time? Or, just whenever it happens to happen and propagates
> around in like fashion?

It's the latter, plus whenever the mirrors are maintained.  Apparently
it's not all automatic from the source side of things, those who
maintain their mirrors do their syncing when they want it done.  I don't
think my ISP has synced their mirror of the updates since the first lot
of updates was released (well, they certainly hadn't when I checked ages
ago).

One reason why your yum re-gets the file list is that you're not
guaranteed to connect to the same mirror for the next update.  Yes, it
*would* be *good* that if it does use the same mirror, and the file list
hasn't changed, that it uses what it's already got.  But I've not forced
my system to keep on using the same mirrors to see if it already works
that way.

--
(This box runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.