Re: what means the find warning about "non-option argument"?

On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 09:27 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> Please specify options before other arguments.

You simply have to rearrange the command line, it'll be an error message
about syntax.  Type in the "options" before you add the "arguments",
like it tells you to.

Look at the man file for the command you're playing with (man find), and
look at what are the options that you can use with that command.  Write
those parts of your command line first, then add your arguments
afterwards, "maxdepth" is an option, "type" is an argument.

  e.g. Instead of:  find <dir> -type d -maxdepth 1
              Try:  find <dir> -maxdepth 1 -type d

Though I found it a bit confusing that the path must come first (the
error message says "paths must precede expression", when the start of
man file shows this syntax:

   find [-H] [-L] [-P] [path...] [expression]

Which shows some *OTHER* options before the path, and before the
expression (different options and arguements).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.