Re: Music - connecting FC5 machine to home stereo

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 12:06 -0500, Peter Horst wrote:
> You know, I'm probably just experiencing some irrational resistance
> here - there just seems to be something wrong with the idea that
> proper-sounding music could come out of a tiny little mini-jack :-)
> I'm sure it's fine....

That all depends on your sound card, and the rest of your system.

It shares a common ground and power supply with your system, so if
there's noise there, you'll get it on the audio, too.  Sometimes it
helps to run the audio through an isolation transformer.

3.5 mm connectors can be dodgy.  Some cards have digital electrical or
optical outputs, where you'd plug in an external analog-to-digital
converter (doing essentially the same task as the sound card), one that
was of better quality, and not so closely tied to the computer.

Some sound card performances are less than stellar, but a good one will
have the same qualities, or better, than a CD player.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.