Re: INIT error

Rohan Kulkarni wrote:
> Hello,
>         I have installed Fedora 7 on my system with GNOME 2.18 desktop.I
> updated it to 2.18.3.On rebooting my system I get an error
>       INIT : ID 'X' spawning too fast : stopped for 5 minutes.
>     On pressing [Enter] key I get the login,but in runlevel 3.I then
> have to use "startx" for the GUI.
>     What is this error???how should I rectify it?

It sounds like the Display Manager isn't loading. The default is to
use gdm. As for why it is not loading, you can look at the logs, or
run /usr/sbin/gdm as root, and see what errors you get. It is also
possible that there is a problem with the scripts that start the
display manager of your choice, but I would not expect that.

Mikkel