Re: OT (most likely) strange modem disconnection when using USB drives

On Fri October 5 2007, Frank Cox wrote:
> That is a not-uncommon problem with Xenon lamphouses in movie theatre
> projection rooms.  The lamp is hooked to the rectifier with wiring that's
> pretty much equivalent to welding cables.  If the bolts that hold the cable
> contacts down ever get loose, it can burn the ends right off of the cable.
> Same thing with the screw-down clamps that hold the lamp in place.
>
> You have to check those connections on a regular basis and give them a
> crank to keep them snug.  It's not good when something like that happens,
> especially on a Friday night with a blockbuster movie (which is when that
> sort of thing will happen, of course.)

Long as we're going on, I say you're a  wuss '-) Back in the late 60's I
co-operated a little drive-in theater in the mountains west of Washington,
DC. We had arc-lamp projectors - you had to monitor those things constantly
to keep the distance between the two electrodes a fairly close constant --
maladjusted one way, and the heat could build up and melt the film - that
would really piss people off - let them drift too far apart and the sparc
wouldn't jump the gap

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA