Re: Phishing - Linux boxes are vulnerable

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Matthew Miller wrote:

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 08:48:25AM +1000, Res wrote:
6. use a respected server OS, one that doesnt hack the f#ck out of
  programs like RH(CentOS) do

"Respected" is kind of a funny term here given RHEL sales, but let's let
that slide and look at the premise. One of the key tenets of Fedora is
"upstream, upstream, upstream". Hacking the "f#ck" out of packages is
strongly discouraged.

but still done, I mean Bind comes in one package, Sendmail in one, bot split up into little pieces, you only have to look in the scr.rpm to see 99 times of out 100 there s a vendor specific patch, that does not exist in say sendmail-version.tar.gz or bind-version.tar.gz You only have to read the lsit of updates from fedora/RH and even debian and others on certain mailing lists to see update update update update, yet the original package is still the same and the authors say no they made changes, this is why we use slackware, and of course why many lazy admins detest it :)

Do you have any data to back this assertion? I read every security
see above

--

Cheers
Res