Re: F7 Firefox, Thunderbird and precaching

On 10/4/07, David Mohring <NZheretic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On F7 Mozilla based applications are flaky crashing intermittently
> ( segfault ) and sometimes refusing to restart, and I am beginning to
> think there may be a problem with F7 pre-linking.
>
> 1) My hardware and kernel appears to be working fine, (uname -a ...
>  Linux xxxxxxxx 2.6.22.9-91.fc7 #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 23:10:59 EDT 2007 i686
> i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> ) the system passes CD based memcheck without any errors appearing.
>
> 2) Only thunderbird and firefox based applications are affected
> ( including galeon  and on rare occasions liferay ).
>
> 3) Removing/moving all plugins and/or ~/.mozilla/firefox setting does not
> reduce the incidence of crashes and does not help when the application
> repeatedly crashes seconds after launch.
>
> 4) I cannot reproduce the crash under strace.
>
> The work around that solve the problem for a while ( days in most cases )
> is to remove and reinstall each of the packages in question...
>
> sudo rpm -e --nodeps thunderbird
> sudo rpm -ivh /var/cache/yum/updates/packages/thunderbird-2.0.0.5-2.fc7.i386.rpm
>
> I only have one PC running Fedora 7. Is anybody else having the same
> issues with firefox,thunderbird,galeon etc if so does reinstalling the
> packages as above help?
>
> If no one else is having the same problems then it may be a hardware problem
> otherwise I will put it on bugzilla@redhat.
>
> Thanks.
>  David
>

> --

Hi David!

A google search on "Mozilla Firefox Fedora Crash" yeilds some pretty good stuff.

First I think I would re-post this titled "Mozilla Firefox Crash".  I
think you would get a faster response.

Second, I think I would scan my system for virus and mal-ware before
reinstalling the software.

Third, I think I would look into the partition space permitted to the
programs you often re-install here.  Do they have enough room to grow
thier histories, store thier cookies etc...

Good hunting!

Tod