Re: Security basics

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 06:39 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Right this moment someone is trying to hack into THIS system. The
> Internet traffic shows me this. I am growing tired of the ssh thing
> since I'm a desktop user. This never needs ssh. I think I will turn it
> off.

That is the obvious thing to do, turn off servers that you don't need.
Configure the ones that you do need so that they only respond to the
places that you want them to.  If you only need to ssh between two boxes
next to other, then configure the ssh server, and your firewall, to only
allow that.

If you have two PCs, it is useful to have ssh running.  You can use one
box to control the other during problem solving.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.