Re: How do I add CAcert.org to the recognized root certificates list for [Evolution|Epiphany|Firefox]?

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 22:04 +0930, Tim wrote:
> How are you notifying students to check their marks?  If you're giving
> out official written notices from the school, you might include a
> comment that they need to allow the certificate, and the school endorses
> it.  If electronically, you'd need some way to give a notice that people
> could trust.
The system has been used by the students for the last couple of years,
mainly internally.  I just hadn't bothered setting up SSL until today
because it had mostly been used internally.  The most effective way for
me to communicate with them would be for me to just tell them to accept
the stupid certificate.  It just seems very inelegant.

I just can't believe that there's no way of adding a new root
certificate system-wide to the Evolution/Epiphany/Firefox certificate
databases (which I can't even find).  Where's the simple text-file like
configurability (if that's even a word)?

> The easiest solution would be to use another certificate that was
> already accepted by the browsers.  Though that might be prohibitively
> expensive.
I've actually found one through Startcom that's free, so I'll switch
over to that.  But CAcert's setup is much nicer.

Jonathan