Re: Recommendation for Fedora server?

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 21:45 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> ed@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >> Probably an ignorant question,
> >> but if one is talking about a mini-ITX system,
> >> will a cheap external AC power adaptor do the job,
> >> like those incorporated into a power plug, eg
> >>
> <http://www.mini-box.com/60w-12v-5A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter_2?sc=8&category=13>?
> >>

> > Well not quite. Its OK if you don't have any spinning platters in your
> > hard drive. But you asked for 200-300GB of storage.
> >
> > But if you just wanted 32GB of flash... then this would work.
> >
> > Or, you had all your big drives on the usb 2.0 bus.
>
> Well, this is a 60 watt adaptor, not 30 watts as someone said.
> I would have thought that was quite enough for a Mini-ITX + one disk.
> My ancient PIII system,
> with 3 disks (including 300MB SCSI and 250MB IDE drives)
> and no care taken about power consumption, only takes 80-90 watts,
> even at startup.
> This system has 2 fans (CPU and box) and a 250 watt PSU.
>
> I'm interested in a system running off 240 volts, not an in-car system.
> Wouldn't something like the fanless VIA EPIA EN12000E
> with a low-power laptop disk (maybe 100-150GB) do the job?
>
> I'm surprised how little discussion of what I would have thought
> was a common need - a low-power server - there seems to be.
----
I think that you are more or less unique in describing low power
consumption as a priority for a server.

Server grade components tend to be constructed for more rugged
continuous usage. While you can obviously succeed in obtaining low power
hardware, you will lose much in terms of redundancy, over engineering
for wider tolerances, higher internal temperatures, etc.

--
Craig White <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>