Re: How to get the most out of HD space.

Dave Ihnat wrote:
On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 06:56:34PM -0700, Aldo Foot wrote:
I've always wondered about having separate / and /boot.
After all one cannot function without the other.

There are, as has been mentioned, historic reasons for this.  But also--you
can't boot from a software RAID array, so in that case /boot is a simple
partition.  In simple mirroring configurations, I usually go ahead and
create a /bootsav partition on the other drive so the partition tables are
the same--it makes maintenance easier, and with a simple cron job provides
an on-system copy of the /boot partition if you have to switch to the other
drive.

You can put /boot on a raid1 partition and the boot loader will treat either mirror as a normal file system and boot from it. You may or may not be able to make the 2nd drive boot automatically if the primary fails because it will depend on how the bios handles the bad drive, but you can always reconfigure it and fix up grub by booting a cd in rescue mode. The thing I like about software raid1 is that if your machine melts to the point there there is nothing working but a single disk, you'd be able to plug that into any compatible controller and recover the data on it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx