Re: How to get the most out of HD space.

On 9/27/07, Michael Fleming <mfleming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 06:25:53PM -0500, Michael P Angell waffled thusly:

>  Pretty much a partitioning question. 2 or 6 partitions? Usage and or
> benefit of higher lower number of partitions? Didn't Red Hat install
> multiply partitions in earlier versions?

Each partition will consume a small amount of space in simple overhead
(Reserved blocks etc) so if you want to get the absolute max out of your
drive, then fewer partitions the better.

That being said, there's wisdom in using separate partitions for /boot,
/home and / (root) - this makes disaster recovery easier (short of
catastrophic hardware failure you won't lose it all) and a discrete /home
makes it easier to migrate / export it to other machines.

Depending on usage you can vary this (I often have /var/spool for servers
etc.)

- Michael Fleming.