Inspiron 530 on f7

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 530 with Ubuntu and made it
dual boot Ubuntu/f7.  There were a few quirks along the way,
so I thought I'd shard them with this list.  In the future,
is there a better place to post this kind of info (eg, one
where I can upload screenshots, etc)?  It would be awesome if
I could attach this kind of stuff to my smolt profile.  Anyway,
for now, here are some of my notes...

First, I wanted to keep the factory Ubuntu installed, so I
wanted to repartition the disk to make room for f7.  In
fact I made room for f8 as well.  I bought the lowest end
version I could get which came with a ~150G Ubuntu partition.
I first tried to use the gparted live CD to repartition it,
but it seemed to hang at some point.  So I tried the f7 live
CD that has gparted and that worked.  I repartitioned the
drive so it now looks like the following (originally sda6
was bigger and sda[78] didn't exist).:

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19452 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

   Device Boot Start    End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1          1      6     48163+  de  Dell Utility
/dev/sda2          7    268   2104515    b  W95 FAT32
/dev/sda3   *    269    293    200812+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4        294  19452 153894667+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5        294    455   1301233+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6        456   6704  50195061   83  Linux
/dev/sda7       6705  13078  51199123+  83  Linux
/dev/sda8      13079  19452  51199123+  83  Linux

Next, I downloaded the f7 DVD iso into a file on my Ubuntu
partition and downloaded and burnt an f7 rescue disk (I
didn't have any blank DVDs to burn, so I figured I'd do
a hard drive install).  I booted to the rescue disk and
changed the boot options to have "askmethod" so I could
do a hard drive install.  The system paused for several
minutes with a message having something to do with
ata_piix then continued.  But when I tried to select
a hard drive install, it gave me some error about
no device.  So I tried an http install and it gave me
the same error.  It couldn't find my hard drive or
my network card apparently.  :(  So I googled for
a while and found to try adding irqpoll to the boot line.
This worked for me and I was able to continue with my
hard drive install.  I did a custom installation of
f7 onto /dev/sda7 to preserve Ubuntu and didn't install
grub.  After the install was completed, I modified
the /grub/menu.lst on sda3 from Ubuntu to add f7 as
a grub option.  It would have been easier to just
install grub from the f7 install, but I wanted to leave
everything as close to factory as possible.  So I added
something like this to the end of menu.lst:

title f7 (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7)
 root (hd0,6)
 kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
 initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img

This worked and I was able to boot into f7.  The next
problem was that the ethernet card was not detected!!
Some more googling found a fedora forum page that
pointed to directions to download a driver from Intel:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/printthread.php?t=162008
This worked and my new Dell is now dual boot Ubunto/f7.

http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx