Re: lilo

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 14:58 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > I have some Dell 320's and never was able to make grub boot these
> > things. Based upon other information I found on bugzilla, I ended up
> > simply installing lilo and they boot fine - no problem.
> >
> > whenever I update (i.e. yum update), and a new kernel is installed, it
> > fails to execute the grub update (mumbles something on screen) but never
> > executes a lilo update which of course is an issue. It does however
> > change /etc/lilo.conf to reflect the newly installed kernel.
> >
> > Is there some configuration change I can make so that when yum/rpm
> > installs a new kernel that lilo is actually executed so that the boot
> > blocks are changed.
>
> You may want to take a look at the grubby man page. It is the
> program that does the update. From a brief look, it looks like you
> may be able to modify the grub.conf file to have grubby update lilo.
> But it isn't clear if this just affects the config file, or if
> grubby will really run lilo.
----
evidently the light bulb just isn't going off at all. grubby simply
seems to be the program that would be used by postinstall scripts and as
a command line, it's dense and inpenetrable except for single argument
install of specific kernel.

[root@dell-320-5 ~]# grubby --lilo --set-default=/boot
--info=/etc/lilo.conf
grubby: kernel not found

[root@dell-320-5 ~]# grubby --lilo --info=/etc/lilo.conf
grubby: kernel not found

[root@dell-320-5 ~]# grubby --bootloader-probe
--config-file /etc/lilo.conf
grubby: cannot specify config file with --bootloader-probe

[root@dell-320-5 ~]# grubby --bootloader-probe
grubby: unable to open /boot/boot.b: No such file or directory

[root@dell-320-5 ~]# grubby --bootloader-probe --lilo
grubby: unable to open /boot/boot.b: No such file or directory

[root@dell-320-5 ~]# grubby --lilo --config-file /etc/lilo.conf
grubby: no action specified

--
Craig White <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>