Re: Still baffled by choice of ethx

On 9/26/07, Duane Clark <fpga@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
> >
> > I did try this (with system-config-network) but it didn't seem to work.
> > Doesn't really matter in my case, as I don't need profiles -
> > I was just experimenting.
> > But I certainly don't find the system-config-network interface
> > very intuitive.
>
> I found the gui tools a problem too. I resorted to going to the
> /etc/sysconfig/networking and network-scripts folders and renaming all
> the ifcfg-* files to conform to the ethx convention I wanted, and
> editing the device declaration within the files. Seemed to work fine,
> but of course YMMV ;)

I've dealt with this problem for almost a year now... I'm using FC4
and routinely rename eth2 and 3 to eth50 and eth51... here's how -

(stop Network and Kudzu, remove hwconf... You have to do this as the
hwconf file maintained by kudzu seems to keep track of the internet
interfaces as well.)
/etc/init.d/network stop
/etc/init.d/kudzu stop
rm -f /etc/sysconfig/hwconf

(you need your MAC address in LOWER case for the udev rules - this
took me FOREVER to figure-out why it wasn't working...)
echo `ifconfig "$INTERFACE" | grep ^eth | awk '{ print $5 }' | sort -r
| tr "[:upper:]" "[:lower:]"`

(edit the 50-udev.rules...or practically any other file in that dir -
wherever is seems appropriate... it changes from distro to distro so
you might not even have 50-udev.rules)
vi /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules

(add a line to the end of the file, something like this:)
"KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="MAC_ADDRESS", NAME="ETHX"
(eth* should be left alone, MAC_ADDRESS should be the MAC address you
want, and ETHX should be the name you want)

(finally, add the HWADDR address to the ifcfg-ethX files... upper case
or lower case, doesn't matter, just make sure the DEVICE= matches the
name of the file)
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=ethX
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=
NETMASK=
HWADDR=address

reboot for the udev rules to take effect

And that should do it.

- G.