Re: Moving F7

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

    I have looked at /lib/modules and the first email to my topic said
it all. "You may need to update your modules". There are thousands of
modules there. No way can I figure out which one to change. I gather no
one else knows either. It would have helped if he said kernel modules.

The term "module" in Linux normally means "kernel module".

If you are referring to my original posting,
I didn't say you needed to "update" your modules,
I simply said you need to copy /lib/modules/<version>/
from your old disk to your new one,
together with the appropriate vmlinuz and initrd,
ie the kernel and initrd are not sufficient alone.

    But the only thing that makes sense is to load a new F7 on the SATA
hard drive. Then move /home to that F7 and let it update all night. This
I can do. The module route requires too much learning I don't need to
have.

Unless you compiled the kernel yourself,
you are almost certain to have all necessary disk-drive modules already,
in /lib/modules/<version>/kernel/ata/ .

   Tim I just looked at the new 85 kernel and there is no such thing as

/lib/modules/<version>/kernel/ata/

so what did you mean?

By the way I did copy with dd the entire F7 from my old to new IDE hard drive. It would not boot. It was not a grub problem. It was a kernel panic because initrd was wrong and perhaps the kernel was wrong IF you need to change that.

To get it working I had to do a little upgrade to the copied f7 with the f7 DVD. It completed fast and then I could boot to this copy.

   So I am not going to do that again.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User