Re: PDF files in firefox

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 21:08 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Aaron Konstam wrote:

Is there any way to get firefox to use xpdf
to read PDF files, rather than Adobe Acroread?
Yes. First, uninstall the acrobat plugin. Then, it basically takes care
of itself.
Where exactly is the acrobat plugin stored?
There doesn't seem to be anything relevant in .mozilla/plugins/ .

It an be in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins or /usr/lib/firefox../plugins

But to do what you want got to: about:config
Change:
browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions to false

The in: Edit->Preferences->Content->Manage you can make firefox any
program you want to open pdf files.

Hi,

this thread only speaks about change of actions. But can somebody explain how to add a new action for some filetype? How to register a new filetype? There is no "add" button!

Thanks.

Thanks for the advice.
I didn't find anything about PDF in any of the plugin directories.
I made the change you suggest with about:config
(and restarted firefox) but again found nothing relevant
in Preferences=>Content=>Manage.

I'm not sure now where I had the problem, but I'll let you know how I get on ...

Ok , let me expalin. One the lines in the widow says PDF Documents and it says it is handled by mozplugger probably.
Hit change action and say you want it to be handled by xpdf and that's
it.

Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps; for he is the only animal
that is struck with the difference between what things are and what they
ought to be. -- William Hazlitt

Joachim Backes <joachim.backes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],
Systems and Operations, High Performance Computing,
D-67653 Kaiserslautern, PO Box 3049, Germany
Phone: +49-631-205-2438, FAX: +49-631-205-3056
http://hlrwm.rhrk.uni-kl.de/home/staff/backes.html