Re: dial-up networking

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 11:35:12 +0500,
  Asif Lodhi <asif.lodhi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Bruno,
>
> On 9/24/07, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > You haven't provided information that is going to be of much help.
> > You need to isolate where the problem is. The minicom suggestion was
> > a good one. That allows you to test out your modem and make sure it
> > can dial out and connect. You can't test the PPP network connection there,
> > but at least you can establish that the modem is working properly.
>
> Minicom also throws up the same message - "No Carrier". I am using the
> same US Robotics external message modem with Windows. So, the modem is
> working perfectly well.

Maybe. Listening to the call setup might be enlightening. It may be that
some mode isn't set the same when calling or the dial string is different
(missing pauses or having different call setup tones).

Even if you got "No Carrier", that possibly could have been after a successful
connection to the remote modem where the other side dropped the connection
for some reason (e.g. authentication failure).

One unlikely issue is problems with call waiting. On our phone network (which
may not be like yours) if you try to disable call waiting when you don't have
call waiting this will mess up the call.

> > (I use pppd which may be a bit different than kppp, but I would still expect
> > to see some stuff logged in /var/log/messages.)
>
> Though I am not too sure but doesn't kppp use pppd underneath the GUI????

I don't know. I don't know why you have to mess with kppp in any case.
I just set up the dialup setup using the GUI system config tool for networking.
It uses wvdial and pppd underneath, and is easy to use.