Re: dial-up networking

--- Asif Lodhi <asif.lodhi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Res,
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> On 9/23/07, Res <res@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Do you use a multiport card?
>
> No, I am simply using an external "US Robotics
> Message Modem". I
> normally use KPPP and haven't got into wvdial and
> other stuff so far -
> don't want to. Just wanna connect to the Internet
> using Fedora 7.
>
> The thing that is VERY strange is: why Fedora 6
> connected to the
> Internet using KPPP for two weeks and why it (and
> everything until
> Fedora 7) stopped doing the same after that? I
> simply need to connect
> to the Internet using KPPP - that's it. It's there
> but I can't use it
> - it is not working! I am at the height of
> frustration!
>
> --
> Thanks & regards,
>
> Asif
>
> > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007, Asif Lodhi wrote:
> > > I have been using Red Hat OS since Red Hat 7.3.
> I used to connect to
> > > the Internet using a dial-up internet connection
> through KPPP. I did
> > > that successfully with Fedora 6 as well - only
> for around two weeks -
> > > after that it started throwing an error message
> that there was no
> > > carrier! Now I have Fedora 7 and the problem is
> the same. It refuses
> > > to connect to the Internet from Linux from day 1
> - it does
> > > successfully from Windows. I don't understand
> why it got connected
> > > using Fedora 6 initially and then started saying
> "No Carrier" after
> > > two weeks. And I don't understand why I can't
> connect to the Internet
> > > using KPPP from Fedora 7. Would anybody help me
> please?
>
> --

Asif,

You want to use KPPP, you have not setup your account
in Fedora 7 using KPPP.  Do you know which is your
port, modem port /dev/ttyS0 ?

Momentarily, you can use wvdial from a terminal to
find your port if you do not know it,
$ su -
Password:
# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

should tell you which is your modem port.  Then look
for it in KPPP.  If it is there use it, otherwise use
a symbolic link to it.  When configuring KPPP check
the box, Automatic redial on No CARRIER, this way the
modem dials out till it achieves a connection.  You
may also check out your ISP requirements to meet them.

Regards,

Antonio

http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html