Re: How best get rid of SELinux?

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:49:44 +0930, Tim wrote:

> Yes, I agree.  One more for it being a good thing to have.  And one more
> to say the nay sayers are in the minority.
>
> I see a *few* people *claiming* it does no good, I haven't seem proof of
> that (and such proof would have to be related to current release
> software to be valid - claims about SELinux flaws from a few years ago
> are as invalid as claims about similarly old faults in other software
> that has since been updated).
>
> I see those people also *falsely* *claiming* that it *only* serves a
> purpose on already compromised machines.  That is but one thing it could
> perform.
>
> I see those complaining about it are running very old versions, and are
> not experienced with the current ones.

	Just for the record, I run F7 and have been doing so since it was
released; I expect to get F8 within a week of release, and switch over to
it gradually, machine by machine, over about a month.

	And none of my complaints resembles any of those above. What I
did complain of, or try to, was and is that SELinux keeps harassing me,
even set permissive, about stuff which I haven't the foggiest notion of,
and which it does nothing to make clear to me. It reminds me of an old
rhyme :

		Boston, home of the bean and the cod,
		Where Lowells speak only to Cabots,
		And Cabots speak only to God.

	Having run every release from RH 7.2 so far, I'm sure SELinux
like so many other things will get far more user-friendly or transparent,
or both; it just hasn't yet, and therefore I question its value -- to me,
at this time.

	There was a time, though some here may doubt it, when even
anaconda was like that : if it hadn't been for installfests, I'd've
remained linuxless. The books and CDs I bought nearly ten years ago never
got me to the point where I could install RH6 at all -- and God knows I
tried. I yield to no man in my hatred of everything that ever came out of
Redmond.