Re: language pack

On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 14:00 +0200, François Patte wrote:
> I had some problem while installing fc6 and the install is not
> complete. I try to recover, installing some missing packages, but I do
> not know what is the package to set the default language on my system.
> Only US English is installed and I wanted UK English and French
> (France).
>
> What are the name of these packages?

To add files needed by other languages, you could run the add/remove
software tool, and add more from the languages section (look in the
browse tab).

I added more than I can read, simply to get the fonts on the system, so
international webpages look correct (no more little boxes instead of the
proper characters, etc.).  Having a look at what's installed on my
system, and available from the yum repos, it looks like the differences
are more fonts, and a few language files for *some* things (e.g. man
pages in other languages, some extra packages for other software, like
open office), etc.

Regardless of what's installed, you can set your locale for your
language, and things will support it as best the can out of what is on
the system, falling back to what the US call English, when they have
to.  ;-)  There's a "language" system administration preference, and
users get to choose their language/locale from the GDM greeter screen,
allowing individuals to use different ones.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.5-76.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.