Re: OT: Use Thunderbird to pick up ROOT Mail?

Mike McCarty wrote:
I'd like to configure Thunderbird (and/or /root/.forward) so
that e-mail to root shows up in my INBOX, and a filter automatically
puts it into a Thunderbird folder (root). So far, I have not been
successful in this. I have Thunderbird pulling using POP from my
ISP. Anyone have advice?

I'd forward root's email to a different local user (just so you don't need root's password all the time to pick it up), then add another IMAP account in your thunderbird setup. Thunderbird can have multiple accounts, each with multiple folders that show up in the left navigation pane and with IMAP you can drag/drop among them, even on different servers. The advantage of IMAP here is that you can access it from multiple clients and see the same mail store. If you only have one machine that might not matter now, but that can change. If you do have multiple machines, you might also want to use fetchmail or getmail to pull your ISP POP mail into a local mailbox where you can access it with IMAP. Another advantage of IMAP is that it avoids any conversion/copying issues when changing email clients - any IMAP compatible client will see the same messages stored on the server even if you connect different ones at the same time.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx