Re: [OT] shell quoting [SOLVED]

 I need to compare two different versions of a source tree
 excluding certain directories and print out some statistics
 on the files which have been changed, removed or added.

diff -urN -x 'bb*' old new | diffstat

diff won't help much as I need an explicit list
of new/added files in a tree of ~10K files.
Besides -x only works on basenames.

 and I want to exclude all paths starting with ./bb
 This one is easy:

 find . ! -path './bb*'

 Now I want to make it into a generic script:

 DIR=.
 OPT='! -path $DIR/bb*'
 find $DIR $OPT

 $DIR and * within OPT are essential
 and no matter what I've tried I can't get the parameter expansion right.

Use arrays:
declare -a options

options=( '!' '-path' './bb*')
options+=( '-type' 'f')