Re: convert file.wmv to .wav ?

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 12:11 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Adalbert Prokop wrote:
> > Bob Goodwin wrote on Sunday 16 September 2007:
> >

> >> Can someone tell me how to convert audio .wmv to .wav, .mp3, or .ogg?
> >>

> > lame file.wav file.mp3
> >
> > or
> >
> > oggenc -o file.ogg file.wav
> >
> > That should do the trick. ;) Lame is in the "lame" package and oggenc is
> > part of the "vorbis-tools" package.
> >
> > If you want to set the bitrate, CBR/VBR setting or other options you will
> > have to read the manual pages.
> >

> >> I tried ImageMagick 'convert' but I don't seem to be able to make it
> >> work, perhaps because I don't have the command right?  As usual I'm
> >> having trouble with the man page ...
> >>

> > The reference to "image formats" clearly states, that it's for pictures,
> > not for sound files.
> Unfortunately the file I received and want to convert is ".wmv" and the
> above applications apparently don't support wmv?  This .wmv file is only
> audio, no images?
>
> I can play this .wmv audio file with vlc but then I need a way to record
> it as something else such as .wav which I can then compress to ogg or mp3.
>
> Lame does produce an mp3 file but it looks like white noise when
> displayed with Audacity.  Aplayer also produces a blast of white noise
> in the loudspeaker.

This would be about the same thing, converting from a video format to
audio only.
ffmpeg -i input.flv -ar 48000 -ac 2 output.mp3
is what I use to convert .flv to mp3 or wav or whatever, like ogg.
It'll take a video converter to handle this. Not an audio one. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar