Re: Running a dovecot IMAPS server

>> You *may* have to avoid doing it that way.  Use an IMAP mail client, and
>> connect to the IMAP server to configure your mailboxes, even if they're
>> on the same machine.  You're less likely to upset things, that way.
>
> I have come to this conclusion too.

Pretty sure that is a good conclusion.

> But I am not sure of the best way to move the messages
> from the old setup to the new.
> When I tried what seemed the obvious way,
> by having Local and IMAP accounts on the server,
> kmail got into some kind of loop because there were two inbox'es.

I was learning how to use procmail the other day with Dovecot, which I
wrote up here

http://warmcat.com/_wp/?p=37#more-37

What I found was that sticking the mail files into <Dovecot
store>/.<foldername>/new caused Dovecot to understand that new mail had
come (which it then seemed to copy into .<foldername>/<something else>
so they weren't new any more but part of the folder).  <Dovecot Store>
might be something like ~/Maildir for the current users' mail.

So I would try picking a message file from the deprecated maildir
setup's folder dir, and copying it into the Dovecot store
.<foldername>/new, and seeing if when you switch to looking at that
folder in Thunderbird, you can now see the new foreign message (and it
is gone from .<foldername>/new).

If that works then if you are sure there are no dupes, just mass move
them the same way.

-Andy