Re: Running a dovecot IMAPS server

Tim wrote:

> It *MAY* be that kmail doesn't use maildir files in the same way as
> dovecot does.

That is certainly the case.
KMail stores the folder "Private", say, in ~/Mail/Private/
with subdirectories ~/Mail/Private/[cur,new,tmp]
(assuming maildir format is being used).

Dovecot IMAP stores the folder "Private" in the directory
~/Mail/.Private/ , again with subdirectories cur,new,tmp .
I don't think this is anything to do with dovecot;
it is the IMAP method.

I don't understand why this complication is introduced;
the fact that kmail works without it shows that it is unnecessary.

> You *may* have to avoid doing it that way.  Use an IMAP mail client, and
> connect to the IMAP server to configure your mailboxes, even if they're
> on the same machine.  You're less likely to upset things, that way.

I have come to this conclusion too.
But I am not sure of the best way to move the messages
from the old setup to the new.
When I tried what seemed the obvious way,
by having Local and IMAP accounts on the server,
kmail got into some kind of loop because there were two inbox'es.