Re: Serious question on thumb drives (was Re: Maybe a deal on flash drives)

Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 08:54 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
Our problem is we keep calling this technology some old name. This memory devise is called "Flash Memeory".

"Flash RAM" *was* RAM that could be used very rapidly, an awful lot
faster than other types, at the time.  That's an ancient computing term.

These days we see the term "flash drives" which are a memory device that
you plug in somewhere, typically USB, and you can write to it in a
flash, compared to other types of drives.

I think calling something a "USB Flash Drive" is fairly comprehensible,
but simply referring to one as "flash memory" is a bit incoherent.

Flash Memory goes into USB Flash Drives and also into the tiny sim stick I have in my Cell Phone. It may also be in other devices so Flash Memory is the generic stuff to a lot of things.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User