Re: How to install Fedora 7 to a CF card connected via IDE-CF adapter?

Monday, September 10, 2007, 5:39:12 AM, you wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
>> CF should work. There are problems with some combinations of CF card and
>> adapter as newer cards often do MWDMA or UDMA but the older adapters
>> don't support this - a fact you can't autodetect.
>>
>> It's also important to understand CF cards have two modes. When plugged
>> into an IDE cable via a convertor they act as if they were disk devices
>> and you should be able to install onto them without problem. If you plug
>> them into a PCMCIA card they appear as removable media and I suspect
>> Anaconda won't consider them a viable install target.
>>
>> Alan
>>

> Thanks for the info regarding the newer cards and the Maximum Multi Word
> DMA (MWDMA) mode and Ultra DMA mode newer CF devices may use. The
> embedded devices have ide=nodma for SanDisk 64 MB cards and 128 MB cards
> to prevent lockups. Newer CF cards fail to work in these devices. I'll
> try removing the parameter to see if it allows newer and larger capacity
> CF cards to work on the power PC devices.

> Your point regarding Anaconda seeing the card as a removable device
> sounds like it is causing no media to be detected. For USB hard disks
> running the installer in expert mode allowed detection of USB connected
> hard disks, maybe expert mode will allow detection of the CF adapter
> mounted devices. The original poster mentioned something to the effect
> that BIOS recognized the cards as 4 GB, a point I overlooked when
> "reading" and overlooking the original post content.

> Jim

Now I didn't get it. Should it work or should it not? And what shall I
do in order to make it work?
Unfortunately I don't have that machine in front of me at the moment.
But I hope I remember it right that the CF card was detected in UDMA
mode.

And I use a CF-IDE adapter, not a PCMCIA card or some other card
reader. So it *should* work as a plain IDE HDD. But for some reason
installer doesn't detect it...

Thanks!