Re: How to install Fedora 7 to a CF card connected via IDE-CF adapter?

Andrew Junev wrote:
Has anyone tried to install Fedora 7 to a CF card connected via IDE-CF
adapter? I tried it on several different systems with no success.

I got the card (Transcend CF 4Gb) detected in MB BIOS as a 4Gb IDE
HDD. But then Fedora installer doesn't seem to find the target drive.
I don't remember the error message exactly, but it's saying something
that it can't find the drive and proposes to load additional storage
driver (by choosing it from a list or by adding one via floppy). If I
connect a normal IDE HDD to the same controller instead of the CF
card, Fedora installs just fine.

So, has somebody had any successful experience installing Fedora to a
CF card?

Not Fedora but a version called Monte Vista for embedded devices. CF cards are not really great devices to install onto. File corruption and bad blocks are common drawbacks since read write cycle limits are a factor. (64 MB - 256 MB cards)

Anyway, a couple of questions regarding what BIOS sees and another if using the CF card in the adapter as slave on the controller.

Does your computer recognize the CF device on POST? If it does not, Fedora probably would have no chance to detect it.

Have you tried this card as a secondary with the IDE drive with linux as master drive? If you tried this arrangement, does 'fdisk -l' show information about the CF device?

Jim

Thanks!

--
Linux - It is now safe to turn on your computer.

   -- From a Slashdot.org post