Re: NVIDIA drivers -- thoroughly confused ??

On Sunday 9 September 2007 5:45:34 pm William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have a new ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard, with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
> Core processor.  This motherboard has an integrated NVIDIA Geforce 6
> graphics chip.  I am running F-7-i386 and using the "nv" driver for the
> graphics card.
>
> Questions:
>      1. Should I just leave the "nv" driver well enough alone ?

>      2. Will I get noticeably better performance downloading the
>         NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run from the NVIDIA site ?

The OSS nv driver doesn't do any 3D. If you need that then you need the nvidia
binary driver. Also, for me at least the nvidia driver gives better 2D
performance as well.

I would give it a try. As long as you backup your current xorg.conf, it is
always trivial to go back if you don't like it...

>      3. Or better from the Livina repository?

I would always recommend using a Fedora specific rpm over the nvidia
installer. Easier maintenance, IMHO.

>      4. What is the driver rpm name in Livina ?

First go here

http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/

and install the F7 repository rpm for livna
(http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-7.rpm)

Then just run

> yum search nvidia

which will list all nvidia rpms available. For your code, I think

 > yum install kmod-nvidia

should bring in all you need.

Chris