Re: NVIDIA drivers -- thoroughly confused ??

On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 12:45 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have a new ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard, with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
> Core processor.  This motherboard has an integrated NVIDIA Geforce 6
> graphics chip.  I am running F-7-i386 and using the "nv" driver for the
> graphics card.
>
> Questions:
>      1. Should I just leave the "nv" driver well enough alone ?
>      2. Will I get noticeably better performance downloading the
>         NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run from the NVIDIA site ?
>      3. Or better from the Livina repository?
>      4. What is the driver rpm name in Livina ?
>
> Honest to Gawd.  I googled the Fedora mailing list and it got more and
> more confusing.  I thought it would be easier to just layout my problem
> and start with a clean set of answers.
----
the reasons for installing nVidia's binary drivers would likely be the
desire to run 3D video games or use 3D desktop effects (i.e. Beryl)
because the open source 'nv' driver doesn't do 3D...otherwise, it's not
necessary.

presuming that you have livna configured, it would seem that simply
doing
'yum install kmod-nvidia'
should be sufficient to install it. Though depending upon various nvidia
hardware, it is possible that you would need to do either
'yum install kmod-nvidia-96xx'
'yum install kmod-nvidia-legacy'
instead...I found that if I installed the 'kmod-nvidia' packages and it
failed on my system when it tried to start X, the Xorg.0.log file told
me that I needed 'kmod-nvidia-96xx' instead.

HTH

Craig