Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

Les Mikesell wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 10:44:57PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
If they were willing to have hidden code they're legally unable to
modify.
Or if they cared about their user experience...
Okay, look -- you've been around long enough that you know what Fedora is
about and why it is the way it is. Quit trolling.
I'll quit when others quit insisting that source code availability to
device drivers that are maintained by the device vendor is necessary.

"necessary" for what though.  It really is necessary for it to get
redistributed with Fedora, not just the source either but acceptably
Open licensing for it.

Yes, fedora is not the best choice for an OS in this situation.

If you already had a driver in the Xorg tree and Fedora, there are no
technical reasons pushing you to change to the nVidia binary-only model:
it's more painful and less efficient for everybody, even nVidia.  So
people are quite right to complain -- at nVidia.

Why should they complain at nVidia for for something that is due to Linux and fedora policies?

Indeed. The rpm that nVidia made which I yum installed works great. Solved every one of my nVidia problems. Why yell at nVidia?

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User