Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

Les Mikesell wrote:
Matthew Flaschen wrote:
So far the nVidia video card on my motherboard has been the one
biggest head acke in this computer. It is wonderful with Windows I
hear but it sucks on Linux. Had I known....
Are you running the driver that nVidia gives away and fedora makes you
go out of your way to install and use?

I think you mean nVidia makes you go out of the way.

No I don't mean that. I don't have to make any extra effort for nVidia drivers on Windows or Macs. nVidia themselves are doing more work for the Linux version since they can't count on a stable interface. Fedora could redistribute the driver as provided by nVidia but chooses not to.

People can get
FOSS Intel drivers with full rights directly from Fedora, so I don't
think Fedora is the issue here.

Well we disagree, then. I have no interest in having source or rights to do anything but use the devices. I just want drivers that work and that work should only have to be done once.

 Apparently, ATI agrees.

They are probably just tired of trying to keep up with the kernel breaking the interface in every update. It will be interesting to see how many people _really_ are able to do better than the vendor engineers at writing drivers, though.

The nVidia drivers that I yum installed yesterday were written it appears for the latest F7 kernel and the new motherboard nVidia video system. I tried again for a big format on my monitor and it worked great.

   The /etc/X11/xorg.conf is a real bear now. The nVidia rpm rewrote it.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User