Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

alan wrote:
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

Les Mikesell wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

So far the nVidia video card on my motherboard has been the one biggest head acke in this computer. It is wonderful with Windows I hear but it sucks on Linux. Had I known....

Are you running the driver that nVidia gives away and fedora makes you go out of your way to install and use?

Here is some info:
http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/LivnaSwitcher

Well I heard zero about it. But it is in this computer now. If I can figure out how to get the sceen size to 1280x1024 I will be a happy camper in this computer.

I have never had much luck with the Livna rpms. It may be because of the "legacy" status of my video card or it may be something else.

My usual method for building it is to get to init level 3. Build the commercial driver and reboot. You also have to rebuild every time you upgrade your kernel or the X OpenGL components.

Well at least it has kept the head on my pointer all this time. But I reset for a 1280x1024 millions of colors and when I reboot bet you a buck I have to drop back to level 3 and re-write the dam xorg.conf again! :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User