Re: figuring out all wireless connections on fedora 6/7

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> I am trying to find out whether there is a similar setup available for
>> fedora
>> which  would list all the available wireless connections. What is the
>> command? system-config-network does not seem to be providing available
>> wireless or an easy way to connect once identified.......
>
> You are looking for Network Manager (developed within Fedora, no less).
> It is enabled by default for the live images but not the regular spin.
>
> See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/NetworkManager

It's a pity this article does not mention
that NM (NetworkManager) does not work with all WiFi devices,
eg it does not work with Orinoco Classic Gold or Silver PCMCIA cards,
and the many clones of these.

These cards have exceptionally good antenna,
and a simple socket for inserting another antenna if desired.
I'm using one at the moment, when 2 other WiFi cards I have
do not pick up the rather weak signal from the access point I'm using.

However, they do not have the ability to do the kind of scanning
required by NM.

Personally, I think it was a mistake to make NM a standard part of F8.
It would have been better to have clarified and simplified
the WiFi setup under Fedora, which is very confused and confusing.

If NM works, it is fine.
If it does not, it simply adds to the confusion.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366