Re: changing intrd

> The reason you don't see a HowTo for this is that it is easier to re-install because the installer checks the hardware and
> sets all the
right things up > automatically. Its only worth doing it this way if you have configured a lot of
> applications that will be difficult to repeat.

In fact, moving linux partitions (excluding LVM) from one computer to another
is feasible, and I have done it dozen of times (including laptops).
Windows, on the other hand, is almost impossible if the IDE controllers
are different (that is, different motherboards).

But one must know exactly what he is doing, and of course, not using dd (I use SystemRescueCD/partimage).
However, there are several parameters to change before trying to reboot. Googling
"How to backup partitions", is the way to go.

But, I only do this because my "/" is packed with 13 GB of applications, and to install and configure all of them
on several computers at the same time would drive anyone crazy.

The process of reinstalling F7 or whatever from scratch, is a good learning process for any
user, and the time "wasted" is not lost.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ