Re: How to install Thunderbird in linux?

>> Because you are new to Linux, I would advise you to use yum to do
>> the install, or the Install New Software menu item, and select it
>>from the list. If you install things without using yum/rpm, you can
>> run into problems when you go to install other software because the
>> system will not know the packages are installed, and will tell you
>> you need to install them if other packages require them.
>
> I'll go the yum way then.

Another reason that's a good idea is security updates.  If you download
and install private "off piste" binaries, it's down to you to track when
security issues are found with them and go off and update them.  Whereas
a periodic "yum update" will pull in security (and other) updates
automatically.

Thunderbird, like Firefox, is a high profile target for security issues
because a lot of the codebase is shared with the Windows versions, which
are pretty popular.  One of the biggest benefits of specifically Fedora
is that Redhat are very hot on getting security updates out quickly.

-Andy