Re: OT: Acrobat Reader needs plugin?

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 11:23 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

I also own a copy of the book, and agree wholeheartedly with your
statement.

I don't quite get this.  You bought a paper copy of the book.  Is not
installing the plugin preventing you from reading your paper copy?  If
you read your paper copy, is anything snooping on your system or reading
habits?

They are selling copies of the book on-line, and then permitting
download of same. Later, if you want to read your own copy on
your own disc, you have to let them know about it, and get permission.
This is invasion of privacy. It also prohibits one from disposing of
one's own copy as one sees fit. Part of ownership of property is the
right to dispose of it as one sees fit. Also, should they run out
of money, their website will go down, and then nobody can read his
own copy of the book on his own disc.

I suppose a subscription model for free stuff (like the PDFs of old
editions of the book) is a little silly, but a subscription model for
access to online material in general isn't any more unreasonable than
any other model.  If you don't like the technology used to manage the
subscriptions, you are certainly free to not participate.

That's why I pointed out to Les that he hadn't had any damages,
so a lawsuit was unreasonable. However, voting with one's wallet
CERTAINLY is reasonable in this case.

In past, there have been several "copy protection" schemes for
software which had little burn holes in discs, etc. On occasion
I bought some software like that which did not warn that the
disc was defective, and when I discovered that I could
not make a backup, and keep the original safe and unused
(except for reading once to make the "used" copy) I immediately
took it back and demanded a refund. I had some store managers
argue with me about it, until I pointed out that THE DISC IS
DEFECTIVE, and I GET READ ERRORS WHEN I TRY TO READ THE DISC.

That is inarguable, when one can prove that there are physical
defects in the disc. Pointing out that there is a legal thing
called "Warrantee of Merchantability and Fitness" in Texas which
applies to everything which is not sold purely "As Is" shut them up
quickly. They were knowingly selling defective merchandise,
and not advertising it in "As Is" state, which in Texas is
legally FRAUD. Period.

I don't participate in those scammy schemes. They don't deter
the real pirates, and they prevent honest users like me from
owning their own copies of the software/book/whatever. The best way
to stop them is to opt out.

Copyright law permits one to make one copy for one's own use, and
carry and use it anywhere one wants to go. These schemes prevent
that from being done. They are intentionally interfering with
rights recognized for centuries for individuals to use and dispose
of their own property.

I don't want to own their work. I want to own my copy. They don't
want me to own my own copy.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't understand MY position on
this.

How about this:

I'll sell you a shovel for $20, but each time you want
to use it, you have to call me up, and let me know. Ok? I'll
bring you the shovel, and I'll padlock it to a 5000 pound
weight in your garage. When you want to use it, just call me up,
and I'll come right over and unlock it, no problem. When you get
through, I'll lock it back up. If you pick the lock, then you
will be guilty of shovel piracy, and THAT is a felony. (That's what
the DMCA says, and what DRM is about.)

Oh, BTW, the shovel is not transferable unless you let me know
to whom you sold it, so I can make arrangements to unlock
it for the guy you sold it to. If I go out of business, then
you are SOL.

How about THAT for a deal, eh?

How many shovels can I sign you up for? Be sure to tell all your
friends about the good deal I have on shovels!

business.  I think a civil suit for peeping should be appropriate to
such organizations. Just my opinion.

Going too far, I think. What damages have you incurred? Contacting them
and letting them know who you are, that you object, and what your
planned actions are may have more effect, anyway.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.