Re: OT: Acrobat Reader needs plugin?

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 11:23 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Les wrote:
> >
> > I went to the site and looked at the plugin installation page, then
> > followed a couple of links to some discussion on the subject.  They are
>
> Yah, with a little prompt from Craig, I found it, too.
>
> > using DRM, but not calling it that.  I will cease recommending anything
> > from Cambridge press from here on out.  Sorry guys.  I detest a company
>
> So will I. If I buy it, I should own my copy.
>
> > that thinks everyone is ripping them off (even if it is happening to
> > some degree, I purchased the book, and I do not want anyone snooping
> > about on my system or reading habits.  Frankly, it is none of their
>
> I also own a copy of the book, and agree wholeheartedly with your
> statement.

I don't quite get this.  You bought a paper copy of the book.  Is not
installing the plugin preventing you from reading your paper copy?  If
you read your paper copy, is anything snooping on your system or reading
habits?

I suppose a subscription model for free stuff (like the PDFs of old
editions of the book) is a little silly, but a subscription model for
access to online material in general isn't any more unreasonable than
any other model.  If you don't like the technology used to manage the
subscriptions, you are certainly free to not participate.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu