Re: using Miro

On Wed September 5 2007, kwhiskerz wrote:
> I have Sun Java 1.6.0_02. Think I should switch to the open java that is
> installed with Fedora by default?

I would only be guessing if I answered. Have you searched on the Miro forums?
My one little tidbit of knowledge on java 1.6 comes from another app we use
with Windows. It's called Linktivity, and it's a web-meeting server - allows
people to log in, share audio and video, their desktops and things like that,
in a multi-point environment. Their tech support strongly discourages Java
1.6 saying it's got features that are not backwardly compatible - we have
gotten a couple of clients working after reverting their Java version. But,
this is pretty flimsy evidence for you to work on, and I wouldn't base much
on it. I suppose if it were me, knowing this, I might be willing to use an
earlier version of Sun Java to see - it's not that hard to switch if you can
find an earlier version. As for using the built-in version of Java, I can't
see what it would hurt to try. Stanton Finley has some references on his site
to commands you can use to direct your system which version of Java to use.
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Java

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA