Re: C++ compilers on Linux supporting 64bit architecture?

BB = Bo Berglund
BB>> 3) The program is written in C++, would there be big
BB> porting issues moving it from Windows to Linux, code-wise?

SV = Sam Varshavchik
SV> That depends upon what libraries your C++ code uses.
SV> If it uses Windows-specific libraries, any GUI libraries,
SV> they are obviously not available on Linux.

Sam,

I work at a company where we use wxWidgets (http://www.wxwidgets.org/) for all of our GUI development in C++. All of our apps our built to run on 32-bit Windows using Visual Studio .NET 2003 and both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Fedora using GCC. Fedora, via yum, provides a packaged version of wxWidgets, but we usually build it from the wxWidgets SVN repository.

No code modifications are required to build the apps on Windows vs. Fedora, so I guess I would disagree with your statement "any GUI libraries, they are obviously not available on Linux", but I would agree that most projects do not consider cross-platform GUI development when they are initially developed, so they are not using a library like wxWidgets.

Hope that helps with any cross-platform GUI development anyone out there is considering.

Pete